PIE!!!!!

Mmmmmmm. Hot from the oven. Looks delicious, doesn't it?

Peanutbutter Raspberry Cream Pie - before adding the whipped cream.

WEDNESDAY, August 4, 2010  I just finished writing the first draft of my new novel, PIE.  It’s with my editor, David Levithan now and while I wait for his comments, I’ve decided to try out the 16 pie recipes I’m including in the book.  The recipes have come to me from all over the country and I’ve had a ball collecting them.Tonight I made peanutbutter raspberry cream pie. My friend Rachel Yoder sent me the recipe.   Rachel is a teacher from New Berlin, IL whose school I visited a few years ago.  This recipe is a Yoder family favorite.  I served it to my son Nat and his friend Nick tonight and they LOVED it.  It’s kind of like a peanutbutter and jelly sandwich and a glass of milk all whisked together into a pie.  Yum!  If you have a favorite pie recipe, please send it to me, or post it here on my BLOG.

Another day, another pie. Today I made blueberry pie with a lattice crust.

Hailey and I made a cherry pie together.

THURSDAY, August 5, 2010  It’s a rainy day up in the Catskills.  A perfect day for making PIE!  I just pulled this blueberry pie out of the oven and the whole house smells wonderful.  I hope that Natty and Nick have room for more pie.  On FRIDAY, August 6, 2010 I tried out my friend Amy’s buttermilk pie.  I swear I could have eaten this whole pie by myself.  Not everybody was as crazy about it as I was though so I thought I’d better make a more traditional pie for the family dinner we had on Saturday.  Hailey, my step daughter came for a visit so she and I made a sour cherry pie together.  It was a big hit.

Buttermilk Pie!!!!!

And as if we didn’t have enough pies to choose from, my friend Dan showed up on Sunday with the most delicious peach pie I’ve ever tasted.  It takes a lot of time to make a peach pie with fresh peaches.  You have to dip the peaches in boiling water to loosen the skins, but in the end it’s worth the effort because the taste is out of this world.

No canned peaches- this pie is made with real peaches, each one peeled and sliced by Dan/

Dan Lebson - master pie maker!

I have to say I’ve really been enjoying doing all of this baking.

You've heard of crumping? This is crimping.

And it’s been a lot of fun sharing recipes with friends.  However, this week I’ll be here at the house with just Mia, our dog for company, and as much I think she might enjoying eating pies, I’m going to take a little break from baking for a few days.

AUGUST 23, 2010

The notes are back from my editor, David Levithan and I’m now hard at work on the 2nd draft of PIE.  Does this mean I

Apple blackberry pie

have no time for baking anymore?  Nope.  This weekend I picked the last of the blackberries from the bushes near my house in the Catskills and whipped up an apple blackberry pie.  My friend Dan taught me a new way to crimp the crust.  What do you think?

Two things I love- my son Natty and cherry pie.

Comments

1. Rachel says

I’m glad it turned out OK, and I’m glad you enjoyed it!! It makes me want to make it!
    Take care–can’t wait to see how the recipe is incorporated into your new book!
    Rachel

2. says

Um, now I am really hungry! Luckily, since I am not a baker, I am at my mother’s house this week and she is going to make me my favorite: an apricot dark chocolate pie!

• says

Apricot and dark chocolate! That sounds like a wonderful combo. Would your mother be willing to share her recipe? I’m having pie withdrawal right now. My editor gave me notes yesterday and now I’m hard at work on the second draft of PIE. No time for baking until this little puppy is in the can.

3. Anna says

HEY!!!! what yummy pie!! Even that pie looks so good and I hate pie. BTW I love the book,”So B. It”. It was so good. But I didn’t finnish it yet. But anyway I think that you and your son have a really great realitionship together. GREAT PIE!!!!!

4. Esther says

I actually love reading i have to read a book or a part of one or i can’t sleep. Any ways…. I like baking I’m inferring you like to cook or bake, i have a question will you make a novel with a boy or girl starring in a baking contest, this is a suggestion if you dont wnt it just ay so.

• says

Hi Esther – I am working on a book right now called PIE and there is a baking contest involved int he story. I hope that you will look for it when it comes out.

SW

• says

Hi- pie is not my favorite food, but I do like a nice cherry or blueberry pie. And my fiance, Jim LOVES apple pie. My kids (I have two sons) are not big pie eaters, but maybe some day they will wise up!

SW

5. Esther says

I kinda like Pie, btw do you go on ur blog every day? And thanks for letting me know about the new book PIE! im loooking forward to reading it when published

• says

I try to visit my blog eery day, but sometimes I’m too busy. Today is a writing day for me, so I’m checking the blog early, and then I’ll try to stay away from it because it can be distracting. It’s so much fun! sw

6. Grace says

I kind of like pie like what my friend Esther had said. I REALLY like apple pie, cherry pie, and pumpkin pie. YUMMY! You are a talented writer. I really like
    So B. It so far. It’s REALLY interesting!

7. Zoe says

Hi Sarah My name is Zoe I am so excited for skyping I am another girl you are skyping with I am So excited to finish the book and see what soof is? Is soof an actual word that you used in your life?

8. Grace says

I’m just SOOOOOOOOOO excited to Skype you! I’ve NEVER EVER EVER met an author in REAL LIFE! Well I have, but I never talked to them. I CAN’T WAIT!

9. Grace says

THAT WAS FUN! OH I WISH I CAN SKYPE WITH YOU AGAIN! SO B. IT WAS AWESOME! I CAN’T WAIT TO READ AS SIMPLE AS IT SEEMS! EMAIL ME TOO!

10. Grace says

Hi Sarah I missed you. My book club classmates missed you too. Sorry for replying back so late. How was your trip to St. Louis? In my school library, one of the BlueStem Award was Oggie Cooder which is by you! I want to read ALL of your books!

11. Grace says

Well you probably never heard of it because its an Illinois award. BlueStem is Illinois state plant so its called the BlueStem award.

• says

I’ve heard of the Rebecca Caudill Award – in fact I won it a couple of years ago for So B. It. I was thrilled! And I thrilled to be on the Bluestem list as well. State lists are wonderful because I know that the voting is done by kids. SW

12. Grace says

Sarah Weeks! I missed you from the day the Book Club did Skype with you!!! Now we finished Book Club and doing another Book Club and the book we are reading is A Friendship for Today, but we finished Book Club a week ago.

• says

You know what’s great about book clubs? You can be a member of one for the rest of your life! Who knows, you may even start one yourself – I once did! that way, you never have to be sad that it’s over –because it won’t be! Happy reading, Summer…SW

13. emily says

I love So. B. It it was my favorite book. I think you should wright more So. B. It.Are you in the proses of writing another novel? How long dose it take to wright a book?

• says

Thanks. I’m glad you enjoyed my book. I don’t plan to write a sequel, but I have written several other novels. My newest book is called PIE and it will be out next fall. Thanks for writing! SW

14. Nicole :D says

Hey, Sarah, I am at the Literature and Latte’s meeting after school: right after your convocation at our school! I loved the “tudnut” story! I can’t wait to read the book PIE and I am now writng a book called, “Ivy Clark is looking for Hope”. Maybe, someday, I can publish it :)! I hope you enjoyed your time at FCI. Btw: I was the one who told you the story about my friend with the “chunks” on her face.

15. Anna says

I LOVE PIE!!!!!!!!!!! When you went to Cherry Tree Elementary Ii was the kid in the 4-5 grde that LOVED PIE!!!

16. says

This is a great blog and very engaging too. Excellent work! That’s not really much coming from an amateur publisher like me, but it’s all I could think after enjoying your posts. Excellent grammar and vocabulary. Not like other blogs. You really know what you’re talking about too. So much that you made me want to explore more. Your blog has become a stepping stone for me, my friend. Thank you for the articulate journey. I really enjoyed the 4 posts that I have read so far.

17. says

Dear Sarah Weeks,
    I got to admit your website is pretty awesome and also you have good face expressions for Readers Theaters
    well I have too be going now nice talking to you.
    Sincerly,Grace

P.S Thanks for visiting Prarie Trace I’m so glad that you could come I’m sure that all the kids liked that you could come.

• says

THat is the first time anybody has complimented me on my facial expressions! Thanks you! I had fun visiting your school, and I’m glad you enjoyed it too. SW

• says

You don’t like pie????? Are you SURE? There are an awful lot of tasty kinds of pies. I love blueberry and pumpkin and cherry –just about every kind of pie except banana cream pie, which I think tastes kind of icky. Glad you want to read the book, even though you don’t care for pie. SW

18. says

When you make pies with your sons or by yourself, do you a secret ingredient in it to make it taste better? Or do you just make pie with all the ordinary indgredients?

• says

I love this question! Like Aunt Polly, I pour a lot of love into everything I bake, and when my sons around my heart is always overflowing. So I think my pies probably taste the very best when I’m baking for or with my boys. SW