PIE!!!!!

Mmmmmmm. Hot from the oven. Looks delicious, doesn't it?

Peanutbutter Raspberry Cream Pie - before adding the whipped cream.

WEDNESDAY, August 4, 2010  I just finished writing the first draft of my new novel, PIE.  It’s with my editor, David Levithan now and while I wait for his comments, I’ve decided to try out the 16 pie recipes I’m including in the book.  The recipes have come to me from all over the country and I’ve had a ball collecting them.Tonight I made peanutbutter raspberry cream pie. My friend Rachel Yoder sent me the recipe.   Rachel is a teacher from New Berlin, IL whose school I visited a few years ago.  This recipe is a Yoder family favorite.  I served it to my son Nat and his friend Nick tonight and they LOVED it.  It’s kind of like a peanutbutter and jelly sandwich and a glass of milk all whisked together into a pie.  Yum!  If you have a favorite pie recipe, please send it to me, or post it here on my BLOG.

Another day, another pie. Today I made blueberry pie with a lattice crust.

Hailey and I made a cherry pie together.

THURSDAY, August 5, 2010  It’s a rainy day up in the Catskills.  A perfect day for making PIE!  I just pulled this blueberry pie out of the oven and the whole house smells wonderful.  I hope that Natty and Nick have room for more pie.  On FRIDAY, August 6, 2010 I tried out my friend Amy’s buttermilk pie.  I swear I could have eaten this whole pie by myself.  Not everybody was as crazy about it as I was though so I thought I’d better make a more traditional pie for the family dinner we had on Saturday.  Hailey, my step daughter came for a visit so she and I made a sour cherry pie together.  It was a big hit.

Buttermilk Pie!!!!!

And as if we didn’t have enough pies to choose from, my friend Dan showed up on Sunday with the most delicious peach pie I’ve ever tasted.  It takes a lot of time to make a peach pie with fresh peaches.  You have to dip the peaches in boiling water to loosen the skins, but in the end it’s worth the effort because the taste is out of this world.

No canned peaches- this pie is made with real peaches, each one peeled and sliced by Dan/

Dan Lebson - master pie maker!

I have to say I’ve really been enjoying doing all of this baking.

You've heard of crumping? This is crimping.

And it’s been a lot of fun sharing recipes with friends.  However, this week I’ll be here at the house with just Mia, our dog for company, and as much I think she might enjoying eating pies, I’m going to take a little break from baking for a few days.

AUGUST 23, 2010

The notes are back from my editor, David Levithan and I’m now hard at work on the 2nd draft of PIE.  Does this mean I

Apple blackberry pie

have no time for baking anymore?  Nope.  This weekend I picked the last of the blackberries from the bushes near my house in the Catskills and whipped up an apple blackberry pie.  My friend Dan taught me a new way to crimp the crust.  What do you think?

Two things I love- my son Natty and cherry pie.

62 Responses to “PIE!!!!!”

1. Anna says:

I LOVE PIE!!!!!!!!!!! When you went to Cherry Tree Elementary Ii was the kid in the 4-5 grde that LOVED PIE!!!

2. celine says:

This is a great blog and very engaging too. Excellent work! That’s not really much coming from an amateur publisher like me, but it’s all I could think after enjoying your posts. Excellent grammar and vocabulary. Not like other blogs. You really know what you’re talking about too. So much that you made me want to explore more. Your blog has become a stepping stone for me, my friend. Thank you for the articulate journey. I really enjoyed the 4 posts that I have read so far.

3. Sarah Weeks says:

Gee, thanks. I do my best. I had some very good advice from Authorbytes, the designer of my site. I highly recommend them. SW

4. Grace says:

Dear Sarah Weeks,
    I got to admit your website is pretty awesome and also you have good face expressions for Readers Theaters
    well I have too be going now nice talking to you.
    Sincerly,Grace

P.S Thanks for visiting Prarie Trace I’m so glad that you could come I’m sure that all the kids liked that you could come.

5. Sarah Weeks says:

THat is the first time anybody has complimented me on my facial expressions! Thanks you! I had fun visiting your school, and I’m glad you enjoyed it too. SW

6. Grace says:

Wow, well I’m glad to here that I sure hope you loved my letter oh yeah my friends love the way you think
    Sincerly, Grace

7. Grace says:

Your welcome

8. joe says:

I do not really like pie but the book sounds good.

9. Sarah Weeks says:

You don’t like pie????? Are you SURE? There are an awful lot of tasty kinds of pies. I love blueberry and pumpkin and cherry –just about every kind of pie except banana cream pie, which I think tastes kind of icky. Glad you want to read the book, even though you don’t care for pie. SW

10. Jyla says:

When you make pies with your sons or by yourself, do you a secret ingredient in it to make it taste better? Or do you just make pie with all the ordinary indgredients?

11. Sarah Weeks says:

I love this question! Like Aunt Polly, I pour a lot of love into everything I bake, and when my sons around my heart is always overflowing. So I think my pies probably taste the very best when I’m baking for or with my boys. SW